Monday, October 5, 2009

The New Season

Divers, Parents, Alumni & Fans,

Our season is approaching closer and as I look at our team I’m excited for competition. Our first meet is Oct 24 in Colorado Springs, against AFA, SDSU & CSU. It’s still early in the season and unfortunately the girls need to be getting there dives off and doing them well. If all the girls are on the same page we should be diving until March (NCAA Championships). I think the girls have a good chance of advancing to post season competition. Last year all the girls qualified to the NCAA Zone meet and we’ll be looking for the same results this year.

This year we have joining us, Stephanie DeLang from Atlanta Georgia. She’s a beautiful diver with pretty lines and we’re looking to add DD to her list. She’s great to have around and she brings light to our practices. She’s accumulated many nicknames and the latest one is, Jukebox. She sings 24-7.

We’re also waiting on one more addition to the team in January. Can’t mention her name until she’s here.

Coming back we have our Sophomores Aubrey and Gabby. These 2 are looking extremely good. They work hard and I know this season will pay off. These 2 girls will be feared in our conference with years to come. I also think they have a great chance of making it to the NCAA Championships. They’re both learning big dives even for being in the MWC (inside joke, I’ll explain later).

Finally, our 2 seniors that will lead this team to a great season are Sasha Evangulova and Alex Lusk. I think these 2 girls expect a lot from themselves and it’s been great to see them take charge. Sasha has the most experience in diving and knows this is her final year and she told me she is ready to work hard, dive her best and leave it all in the pool. She wants to walk away from diving with no regrets. I know she will. Alex came to us late in the game and she’s come a long way. She transferred from the University of Florida and has made a presents in our conference and our Zone. She did so well, I think she even shocked herself. I know she has more in the tank and I’m excited to see it all come out.

As you can see, we have the talent and we have the athletes. The girls are working hard and they’re dedicated this year to a good season. I ask from them, to try their best everyday and believe in themselves and everything will fall into place. If we can stick to that, WATCHOUT!!!!

Come out and support your Lady Lobos.

Let us know what you think.

1 comment:

Sasha Evangulova said...

I feel like "The New Season" must and will be the best season for Alex and I to end with, Stephanie to start with and Aubrey and Gabby to continue with, hold up and improve. Thank you Abel for having this blog. Girls and I appreciate your commitment and everything you do for us. And yes we gonna do great this year for YOU and UNM LOBOS!

"If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards."